Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Milton

A spate of cocktail joints have opened up on the UES which have brought with them some destination crowds. A few months ago I tried to get into The Gilroy, a good old standbye but not my favorite of the bunch (RIP JBird), which was packed. I cursed the New Yorker. Nevertheless, glad that folks are coming uptown to see the neib. It's fantastic, and The Gilroy is a fine introduction.

For my purposes, I still like to have my small 4 block radius of watering holes I can pop into wherever (Kaia, ABV, Third Ave Ale House, The Gifford Inn, etc etc) and meet with friends. When I saw that The Milton was opening up, I couldn't resist their font treatment. I popped in for their excellent happy hour specials, and stayed for a glass of Montepulciano.


The owner, a hospitality profesh with a fine Irish brogue, chatted me up as I read at the bar. He's definitely interested in cultivating a band of "regulars," and he lives somewhere in the E 70's. Neighborhood folk opening neighborhood bars, as it should be forever and ever amen. He's added lots of fun homey touches as well (really the exposed brick is half of it, but the UES hipster bar aesthetic seems to tend towards "stay a while" which I very much appreciate in winter months), like flower pots and favorite books. It's a nice surprise to walk in. I cannot yet vouch for their cocktails, but they seem to have a decent selection of wine and beer, so it's an easy thumbs up from me. Also: classy signage. Bonus points all around. Since there is no TV and medium din, it's perfect for reading alone.

Can't wait to drag someone here for brunch (instead of Sarabeths. I am so fricking basic with brunch).

No comments:

Post a Comment